Title: Associate Professor
Departmental Program: Social
Office: BOUS 165
Office Phone: (860) 486-2760
Web site: SPN
Department of Psychology
406 Babbidge Road, Unit 1020
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269-1020
Preferred Means of Contact: E-mail
- Social Influence and Social Communication: Social marketing, health communication, peer influence.
- Social Cognition: Social comparison and categorization, unconscious processes, meta-cognition (overconfidence and judgments of learning).
- Group Processes: Reactions to negative stereotypes, group-based social comparisons.
- Motivated Cognition: Cognitive dissonance, comparative evaluations.
- Research Methodology: Attitude measurement, implicit psychometrics, ethics in science and communication.
- 5703 Advanced Social Psychology
- 2100 Principles of Research Methods
- 2700 Social Psychology
- Blanton, H., & Christie, C. (2003). Deviance regulation: A theory of identity and action. Review of General Psychology, 7, 115-149.
- Blanton, H., Christie, C., & Dye, M. (2002). Social identity versus reference frame comparisons: The moderating role of stereotype endorsement. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 38, 253-267.
- Blanton, H., & Jaccard, J. (2006). Arbitrary metrics in psychology. American Psychologist, 61, 27-41.
- Blanton, H., & Jaccard, J. (2006). Tests of multiplicative models in psychology: A case study using the unified theory of implicit attitudes, stereotypes, self-esteem, and self-concept. Psychological Review, 113, 155-169.
- Blanton, H., & Jaccard, J., Gonzales, P. & Christie, C. (in press). Decoding the implicit association test: Perspectives on criterion prediction. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Blanton. H., Pelham, B. W., DeHart, T., & Carvallo, M. (2001). Overconfidence as dissonance reduction. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 37, 373-385.
- Blanton, H., & Stapel, D. A. (2007). Unconscous and spontaneous and ... complex: The three selves model of social comparison assimilation and contrast. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Blanton, H., Stuart, A. E., & VandenEijnden, R. J. J. M. (2001). An introduction to deviance-regulation theory: The effect of behavioral norms on message framing. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 27, 848-858.
- Burkley, H., & Blanton, H. (2008). Endorsing a negative in-group stereotype as a self-protective strategy: Sacrificing the group to save the self. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 37-49.
- Burkley, M., & Blanton, H. (2005). When am I my group? Self-enhancement versus self-justification accounts of perceived prototypicality. Social Justice Research, 18, 445-463.
- Jaccard, J., Blanton, H., & Dodge, T. (2005). Peer influences on risk behavior: An analysis of the effects of a close friend. Developmental Psychology, 41, 135-147.