As part of the effort to foster and improve the
relationship between the faculty & staff with the Division of
Athletics and to provide a direct communications link with
athletics, the President’s Athletic Advisory Committee (PAAC) holds
a series of informal meetings with faculty and staff on a regular
basis. The faculty and staff are invited to come and meet with the
Director of Athletics, the Chair of PAAC, the NCAA Faculty Rep, the
Director of the Counseling Program for Intercollegiate Athletes (CPIA)
and the chair for the Faculty Staff Relations subcommittee of PAAC
and to discuss any issue that might be on their minds about
athletics at the university.
The meetings currently take the form of an
informal breakfast or lunch to discuss any issue, concerns, observations etc.
about athletics. We have found it useful to keep the meetings
rather small and informal. In the past, we have been fortunate to
have a cross representation of faculty from virtually every
department on campus and we hope that will continue. The purpose
of these meetings is to provide the faculty with a forum to engage
in open and candid dialogue concerning the role that intercollegiate
athletics serves at UConn.
Most of those who attended these meetings have
found them to be informative and educational. Topics included, but
were not limited to:
1. The history and reporting structure of CPIA
2. Student welfare.
3. The roles that coaches play in the academic development of
4. The ways in which the faculty should be aware of NCAA
5. The ways in which the Division of Athletics serves a broader function:
recreation, school spirit, or increasing the applicant pool.
6. How UConn has achieved gender equity in the Division of
7. The development and implementation of Division I-A Football.
8. The level of University funding to the Division of Athletics.
9. The quality of support offered to student-athletes through
the CPIA Program.
10. The ways that Athletics can enhance academic programs.
If you are interested in attending any of the
upcoming breakfast meeting (schedule shown below) please e-mail Carol Polifroni at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming PAAC Faculty/Staff
October 4, 2012
November 28, 2012